Freedom and Justice
Through the Division on Freedom and Justice, the Baptist World Alliance promotes respect for human rights, especially religious liberty, and justice in human affairs as values that are grounded in Scripture and in the faith of the church.
Want to be a financial partner in this global work? Click Here to GIVE!
- Report on Eritrea: 20 Years of Oppression by Elijah M. Brown
- Delegates travel to Azerbaijan for Human Rights Visit
- BWA Delegation Visits Colombia for Human Rights Visit
- BWA Team Travels to Nigeria for Human Rights Visit
- BWA Report on Religious Freedom Violations in Azerbaijan
- Glen Stassen Receives International Baptist Human Rights Award
- Aasia Bibi & Savan Masih – These two Pakistani Christians have been charged with blasphemy and are currently imprisoned. Bibi has been in prison since 2009 following a conviction for defiling the name of the prophet Muhammad during a dispute with a Muslim coworker, which she denies. She was sentenced to death and has been waiting for the court to hear her appeal. Salmaan Taseer, Governor of Punjab; and Shahbaz Bhatti, a Christian minister, were both killed for supporting Bibi and for demanding a change to the current blasphemy laws of the country. Accustations of blasphemy against Savan Masih were made in connection with the anti-Christian riot in Joseph Colony, Lahore, last year. Please pray for the lives of Aasia Bibi and Savan Masih in light of upcoming court hearings, as well as for Pakistan in general, as there are continued attacks against religious minorities.
The BWA may establish commissions from time to time by the Executive Committee, drawing together appropriate persons from Member Bodies to serve in reflection, study and, where appropriate, action. The Nominations Committee will receive, review and recommend persons to the General Council to serve as core members on such Commissions and Committees. (Article VII:2)
For a summary of each of the Commissions: Click Here
- Baptist-Muslim Relations
- Human Rights Advocacy
- Religious Freedom
- Social and Environmental Justice
- The BWA is a non-governmental organization in consultative status with the UN Economic and Social Council and a member of the Conference of Non-Governmental Organizations in Consultative Relationship with the United Nations.
To receive news releases, newsletters, magazines, and other information and resources, click here.